Using instant mashed potatoes.
(yield 25, 1 cup portions or 6 1/4 qts)
2 tbsp salt
6 cups chopped onions
1 lb finely diced bacon
2 1/4 cups dry, non-fat milk
5 1/4 quarts warm water
1 quart cold water
2 1/4 cups instant mashed potatoes
1 1/2 tsp pepper
- Chop onions and set aside for use in step 2.
- Saute bacon until lightly browned, add onions and continue sauteing until onions are transparent. Drain, set aside for use in step 4.
- Sprinkle non-fat milk on warm water. Stirring gently until almost issolved. Allow to stand 15 minutes, stirring occassionaly.
- Add bacon and onions, bring just to a boil. Remove from heat.
- Add cold water to milk mixture.
- Combine potato granules, salt and pepper.
- Add to milk mixture, stirring contantly. Boil to just boiling point. Reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes.