Baking Powder Biscuits
(check out variations at end of recipe)
(yield 25, 2 biscuit portions)
3 1/4 qts sifted flour
1/2 qt dry, non-fat milk
6 tbsp baking powder
5 1/4 tsp salt
3 cups shortening
4 1/4 cups water
- Mix and sift flour, milk, baking powder, and salt into mixer bowl.
- Add shortening. Mix on low speed approximately 1/2 minute or so until mixture resembles coarse corn meal.
- Gradually add water and mix on low speed approximately 1/2 minute or so until dough is just formed. DO NOT OVER MIX.
- Place portion of dough onto lightly floured board. Knead lightly approximately 1 minute or until dough is smooth.
- Roll out to a uniform 1/2 inch thickness.
- Cut with a 2 1/2 inch floured cutter.
- Arrange biscuits close together on lightly greased baking sheets.
- Bake at 425 degrees F. 12 to 15 minutes.
Note: If time and space are limited, the dough may be cut into squares. This will eliminate re-rolling the dough.
Roll dough into a rectangular sheet 1/3 inch thick. Spread with melted buter and brown sugar. Roll dough as for jelly roll. Cut into slices 3/4 inch thick. Place
cut-side down, approximately 1 inch apart, on greased baking sheets.
Cheese Biscuits: Decrease shortening by 1/4 cup. Add 1/2 lb (1/2 qt.) grated cheddar cheese before adding the water. Brush with milk and sprinkle with grated cheddar cheese.
- Butterscotch Biscuits: