USS TOWERS (DDG-9)
FLEET POST OFFICE
SAN FRANCISCO, CALIFORNIA
20 Jan 1966
From: Commanding Officer, USS TOWERS (DDG-9)
To: Chief of Naval Operations (Op-2915H)
Subj: Ships History; annual revision to
Ref: (a) OPNAVIST 5750.7
- In accordance with reference (a) the following annual revision
to the ships history is hereby submitted:
- On 5 January TOWERS departed San Diego for her third WESTPAC deployment.
| a. From February to 10 May TOWERS participated
in all phases of operations in the South China Sea including plan guarding,
CVA Missile Support, Tonkin Gulf SAR, DESOTO patrol, MARKET TIME and associated
operations. These operations established the ships
| eligibility for the Republic of Vietnam Service
Medal. TOWERS served as flagship for Commander Destroyer Squadron SEVEN
from 2 February until 10 May. Ports visited included Subic Bay, Yokosuka
and Hong Kong.
During the week of 14 June TOWERS participated in Operation SAILOR HAT,
a special blast test in the Hawaiian Islands to determine ship construction deficiencies.
Area. Operations included ASW School Ship, a demonstration of senior SEATO officers,
missile firing exercises and participation in ASWEX 17-65.
- TOWERS returned to San Diego on 26 June for leave and upkeep.
- The Operations and Engineering Departments were awarded department
Es for competitive year 1965.
- On 26 July TOWERS began type training and local operations in the
- TOWERS rescued a downed pilot from USS KEARSARGE (CVS-33) on 23
September while night plane guarding.
- The remainder of the year was spent in routine operational training,
tender availability, a dependents cruise on 16 December, and holiday
- The undersigned commander TOWERS throughout the entire year.
H. C. PENNEY