U.S.S. TOWERS (DDG-9)
FLEET POST OFFICE
SAN FRANCISCO, CALIFORNIA
1 Feb 1965
From: Commanding Officer, USS TOWERS (DDG-9)
To: Chief of Naval Operations (Op-291SH)
Subj: Ships History; annual revision to
Ref: (a) OPNAVIST 5750.7
1. In accordance with reference (a) the following annual revision to the ships
history is hereby submitted.
- From 1 January to 15 May TOWERS followed a routine schedule of
operations in the San Diego area and commenced preparations for a mid-year
overhaul. The ship satisfactorily completed her INSURV inspection, held on
host to a local orphans home tour and providing general visiting hours for
- On 16-17 May TOWERS visited the inland port of Stockton, California
2000 San Joaquin Valley citizens.
- The ship experienced her first overhaul during the period 19 May
21 September. During this time TOWERS operational capabilities were
increased with the addition of first-class air control modernized communication
and in preparation for a January 1965 deployment.
- The remainder of the year was spent in refresher training, holiday
- On 23 December, CDR H.C PENNY, USN relieved CDR C.E. SWALLOW, Jr.
as Commanding Officer.